Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Channel Catalog

older | 1 | .... | 204 | 205 | (Page 206) | 207 | 208 | .... | 299 | newer

    0 0
    0 0

    SINGAPORE - A man was so desperate to pass his driving test, he decided to bribe his tester. 

    But that did not go well for him. 

    On Dec 15, 2016, Li Qi Gang took a driving test and had made several mistakes. He subsequently offered $500 to Goh King Seng, an Authorized Automotive Tester from Singapore Safety Driving Centre, to incentivise him to help Li pass the test. 

    Goh, however, did not accept the bribe. Instead, he reported the matter to the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau.

    Li's attempt to offer a bribe is an offence punishable under Section 6(b) of the Prevention of Corruption Act, Cap 241. He was today (June 21) sentenced to three weeks in jail for bribery. 

    Anyone convicted of a corruption offence can be fined up to $100,000 or sentenced to imprisonment of up to five years or both.

    Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 18:38

    More about


    0 0
    0 0
    0 0

    An 80-year-old woman was found dead outside Chestervale Condominium at Bangkit Road, Bukit Panjang on June 20.

    Stomp contributor Timothy alerted Stomp to the incident after seeing authorities at the scene at around 5.45pm.

    In response to media queries by Stomp, a Police spokesperson said they were alerted to the unnatural death along Bangkit Road at 5.28pm.

    The spokesperson added, "An 80-year-old woman was found lying motionless and was pronounced dead by paramedics at the scene. Police investigations are ongoing."

    Body of 80-year-old woman found at Chestervale Condo in Bukit Panjang

    Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:06

    0 0
    0 0

    Family members teared up as the husband of the 38-year-old woman who died shielding her 3-year-old toddler during an accident on SLE on Father's Day (Jun 18) told his sons that their mother had passed away, despite them crying to see her.

    The MVP the family was in had struck a road barrier, causing the deceased to get flung out while she was carrying the couple's youngest son, reported Lianhe Wanbao via Lianhe Zaobao.

    The woman was pronounced dead at the scene, while her husband and their three sons aged 3, 6 and 9 were conveyed to a hospital for treatment.

    After the accident, the 37-year-old widower was hospitalised in Tan Tock Seng Hospital and placed under observation, after complaining of pain in his back.

    His eldest and second son had suffered mild injuries and were rushed to KK Women's and Children's Hospital for treatment.

    The youngest child had suffered more serious injuries on his head and back, and is warded in Khoo Teck Puat Hospital for observation.

    It is understood that he is out of immediate danger and all the conditions of the subjects are stable.

    When reporters contacted the man yesterday, he said that he had been discharged on Monday afternoon.

    He said that although he has yet to recover fully, his children need him now, and he had to be discharged to look after them.

    The grieving husband also added that he did not wish to revisit the painful accident and his only consolation was that his three children are safe.

    'The kids still want to see their mother': Husband of woman who died protecting toddler son in SLE accident

    He also said that after getting discharged yesterday, he broke the tragic news to his children and family members: His beloved wife and mother to his children had passed away and was never coming back.

    "The kids kept crying and asked to see their mother."

    "I really don't know what to do."

    Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:23

    0 0

    A Singaporean man, Kelvin Ang Soon Lim, was charged with forging two cheques amounting to $640,000 under his ex-wife's name and stealing three of her branded handbags.

    The 40-year-old suspect reportedly committed the acts to pay back debts he owed to loansharks after having lost a large sum from gambling, reports World of Buzz.

    After paying off his debts, Ang spent the remaining $260,000 on a Chinese girlfriend.

    The cheques were forged back in Dec 2013, when Ang and his ex-wife, Li Xiangli were living together, but in separate rooms after their divorce.

    Ang surreptitiously duplicated keys to her room and sneaked in while she was away in China visiting relatives.

    He then stole her chequebook and wrote the two cheques to be cashed at the bank in her absence.

    After returning from China, Li discovered the forgery when she visited the bank.

    She confronted Ang, having recognised his handwriting on the cheques.

    Ang confessed to the deed, saying that he had copied her signature from telco bills.

    Despite her ex-husband's wrongdoings. Li chose not to press charges, out of concern for their young child and Ang's mother, who returned $472,000 to her.

    Three years later, Ang attempted sneaked into her room again, stealing three of her bags in one fell swoop --- a Hermes bag worth $20,000, a Celine bag worth $3,250 and a Balenciaga bag worth $2,590 --- along with a credit card.

    This time, Li decided to lodge a police report, and Ang was arrested.

    Ang was subsequently charged in court and sentenced to four years in jail after pleading guilty to charges of forgery and theft.

    Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:41

    0 0

    Just days after claiming the squat world record of 208kg on June 19, Singaporean powerlifter Matthew Yap was left stranded in the very place he attained his achievement. 

    At 1.02am this morning (June 22), Powerlifting Singapore posted on Facebook that Yap and his brother cum coach, Marcus Yap, had been "detained in Minsk, Belarus, due to some visa mix ups".

    With their flights missed and the need to rebook their flights, Ms Daphne Loo, the media officer of Powerlifting Singapore, started a crowdfunding campaign to help bring the boys back home. 

    According to her post on GIVE Asia, the powerlifters had arrived in Belarus on June 16 and told that a visa-on-arrival wasn't required.

    However, on departure from Minsk International Airport, Belarus, they were detained for questioning due to the visa mix-up and had to pay about $833 for their release.

    Explaining that they had no money, the officials eventually waived the fine and merely told them to book their own air tickets back to Singapore.

    As if it wasn't bad enough, they soon found out that an air ticket to Singapore cost almost $1.5k.

    The two brothers had reportedly worked part-time and saved up $5.5k for their trip to Belarus in a bid for Matthew Yap to win the world record at the World Classic Powerlifting Championships.

    Back in Singapore, their parents contacted the Ministry of Foreign Affairs who spoke to the airline, Lufthansa, and eventually reduced the price of the air tickets to about $940 each.

    The crowdfunding campaign that was started just this morning quickly raised over $2.6k, with $2,000 alone donated by one anonymous donor. 

    Photo: Screenshot of the fundraising campaign

    Matthew Yap also posted on Facebook to thank the people who have contributed to the campaign.

    The two brothers are now waiting for their flight home on Friday, according to Straits Times.

    Behind the unfortunate series of events lie a bigger problem though. 

    All these would not have happened if powerlifting was a recognised sport by Sport Singapore (Sport SG) and if Powerlifting Singapore was a National Sport Association (NSA). 

    Some netizens also had similar sentiments.

    But with Yap's world record on the charts now, perhaps the powerlifting community in Singapore might finally get some recognition.

    Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:57

    0 0
    0 0
    0 0
    0 0

    SINGAPORE - Business owners, beware: there is an email impersonation scam going around requesting for payments to be made to different bank accounts.

    Scammers modus operandi?

    They would hack into either the email accounts of the victims or their suppliers to familiarise themselves with their email correspondences.

    Then, they would create a spoofed email address, closely resembling that of the suppliers’,  to send email with instructions to victims, asking them to transfer payments to a new bank account.

    Since Jan 2017, the police said they have received more than 110 reports on business email impersonation scams. This is an increase of about 20 per cent from the same period in 2016.

    The total amount lost through this type of scam in 2017 to date has exceeded $13 million, said the police in a statement on Thursday (June 22). 

    The police cautioned that such scams usually involve businesses with overseas dealings and use email as their main mode of communication. 

    In order to deceive the victims, the scammers may also closely mimic the emails of the real suppliers. For instance, they'd use the same business logos, links to the company’s website, or messaging format. 

    Unsuspecting victims would only realise that they've been duped after their supplier informs them subsequently that they have not received the money.

    Some examples of spoofed email addresses. Photo: Singapore Police Force

    On Jan 22, 2016, a local company received an email that was purportedly sent by their overseas business partner, with instructions to make payment of US$56,790 (S$78,880) to purchase equipment.

    Not realising that their business partner’s email had been compromised, they trustingly transferred the money to the foreign bank account, as instructed. 

    Subsequently, they suspected that their business partner’s email account was compromised when they spotted minor discrepancies in the email addresses used by the sender. 

    Fortunately for these folks, they were able to successfully recall the funds as they were still sitting in the foreign bank account.

    Others might not be so lucky as scammers would usually transfer the money out very quickly, said the police. 

    Here are some tips from the police: 

    1. Prevent your email account from being hacked by using strong passwords, changing them regularly, and enabling two-factor authentication. 

    Install anti-virus, anti-spyware/malware, and firewall on your computer, and keep them updated. 

    Also use the latest computer Operating System (OS) and keep them updated when new patches are available.

    2. Any sudden changes in the payment instructions and bank accounts details provided by your business partners or creditors should raise red flags.

    Call back to verify the information. Previously known phone numbers should be used instead of the numbers provided in the fraudulent email.

    3. Educate your employees about this scam, especially those who are in charge of making fund transfers.

    Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 17:48
    Business email impersonation scams have increased by 20 per cent year-on-year. Now, that's scary.

    0 0

    SINGAPORE - A 41-year-old Indonesian maid suspected of murdering an elderly couple in their Bedok Reservoir flat is believed to have fled to Indonesia, according to Chinese daily Lianhe Zaobao.

    The grisly double-murder was discovered by the couple's son when he returned home yesterday afternoon (June 21).

    Police were alerted to the incident at 3.39pm.

    Believed to be Singaporeans, the victims are Chia Ngim Fong, 79, and his wife Chin Sek Fah, 78, who were found lying motionless in different parts of their five-room executive flat, according to The Straits Times.

    Neighbours described them as a friendly and loving couple, who had been living at Block 717 Bedok Reservoir Road for more than 30 years.

    Mr Chia's body was found in the master bedroom located on the second floor of the maisonette, while his wife was found in the toilet with injuries on her neck.

    They were pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics at 3.57pm.

    Police reportedly seized three knives from the rubbish chute.

    About a month ago, Mr Chia suffered a stroke, resulting in mobility issues and leading the family to employ a maid.

    When the son returned home to the shocking find, the maid was nowhere to be found and her passport, as well as luggage, were missing.

    According to Lianhe Zaobao, the maid arrived at Singapore Cruise Centre @ Habourfront around 12pm on June 21 and bought a ticket for the first boat out. 

    Based on information on the Singapore Cruise Centre website, ferries were available to two Indonesian destinations: Batam or Tanjung Balai on Great Karimun Island.

    An investigation by a Zaobao journalist found that it would have been possible for the maid to escape within 45 to 60 minutes after buying a ferry ticket. Multiple surveillance cameras at the cruise centre would also have been able to catch a glimpse of the suspect, the reporter noted. 

    After going missing for more than 24 hours, the maid's current whereabouts remain unknown.

    Anyone with information can call the police hotline on 1800-255-0000 or submit the information online at www.police.

    All information will be kept strictly confidential.

    Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 18:12

    0 0
    0 0
    0 0
    0 0

    Move aside handsome airport officer and yandao POSB guy, there's a new cutie stealing women's hearts.

    A waiter working at a Hai Di Lao outlet in Singapore has captured the attention of women online.

    Bite of SG posted a 'cutie alert' on their Facebook page of the handsome fella who served them food during their dinner on Jun 20.

    They added, "Don't bojio k wink".

    Since then, ladies have been flooding the comments praising how good looking this guy is and making plans to head down to Hai Di Lao to feast on hot pot and treat themselves to some eye candy.

    According to some commenters, he works at the VivoCity outlet.

    Who is in the mood for hot pot tonight?

    Check out how perfectly he scoops soup into a bowl in the video below.

    Friday, June 23, 2017 - 09:51

    0 0

    A man threw a surprise birthday party for his cancer-stricken wife at HomeTeamNS Bukit Batok on June 11, but what left her in tears was his renewal of their wedding vows in front of guests.

    Stomp contributor Anonymous Friend, who is a friend of the groom's friend, said he has attended many weddings and parties, but none have touched him as much as this event had.

    The couple, who are both 45 years old and have an 18-year-old son, first took their wedding vows in 1997 when they got married.

    However, the husband decided to renew his vows due to his wife's illness. He also went down on his knees to propose to her again and gave her a ring.

    Said the Stomp contributor:

    "The most touching part of this event is when Mr Suria renewed his weddings vows, which he first did back in 1997 when he got married to Mrs Sarojini. The atmosphere was filled with love when he went on his knee to propose again with a ring.

    "Seeing this... I daresay True Love still exists!

    "Wedding vows are magical and beautiful words: 'In sickness and in health. I will love and honour you all the days of my life'.

    "Mrs Sarojini is suffering from cancer but she is still strong. An iron lady indeed!

    "I don't know Mr Suriya personally but my respect for him is way above sky level!

    "Everyone in the room was crying and was touched by the true love this husband had for his wife.

    "I wanted to share this so people will understand that love is not about sex or having fun. It is about being there during hard times too.

    "In this era where love has taken a back seat, couples break up over little problems or cheat on their partners. They throw away love easily!

    "Final word to you all: Cherish your marriage because it is a wonderful thing when two souls became one. Love conquers all.

    "We need to learn a lot from Mr and Mrs Suria Saro. God bless both of them!"

    Friday, June 23, 2017 - 10:01

    More about

    <iframe src='//' allowfullscreen frameborder=0 width='100%' height='355'></iframe>

    0 0

older | 1 | .... | 204 | 205 | (Page 206) | 207 | 208 | .... | 299 | newer