Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Channel Catalog

older | 1 | .... | 278 | 279 | (Page 280) | 281 | 282 | .... | 299 | newer

    0 0

    A Singapore bar that bills itself as the world's highest cryptocurrency club is offering a New Year's Eve package that includes a limousine pick-up and butler service - but it'll cost you a whole bitcoin.

    Skyline, on the 45th floor of a skyscraper overlooking the city-state's glittering waterfront, is promising party-goers a luxury-filled night out, with champagne and oysters and caviar.

    But it won't come cheap, with the price of bitcoin - which has surged dramatically in recent months --hovering around US$13,000 yesterday.

    The party at Skyline is called "Bianco", with revellers dressed in white enjoying a night of drinking and dancing before watching the New Year's fireworks display over the waterfront.

    Photo: AFP

    While the club has run the night before, it is the first time they are offering a bitcoin deal, and customers can also pay in regular cash.

    Manager Subaish Rajamanickam said they received a lot of inquiries about the package - but no one had yet signed up for it.

    The New Year idea came after the bar ran other successful virtual currency-themed nights for people in the financial technology sector, which is booming in the city-state.

    Skyline was the first club in Singapore to accept cryptocurrencies when it started taking payments in Ethereum, a bitcoin rival.

    "We had a couple of cryptocurrency after-parties here, and we have also themed a night ... called Crypto Thursdays," Rajamanickam said.

    "So that basically got the ball rolling for cryptocurrency acceptance here at Skyline," he added.

    But most transactions are still in regular cash and there was scepticism among some customers about using bitcoin, due to its surging price and recent volatility.

    "It's too expensive to buy alcohol or (conduct) any transaction using cryptocurrency in today's environment," said Spencer Campbell, a 47-year-old financial consultant.

    Photo: AFP

    Created in 2009 as a piece of encrypted software, bitcoin has been used to buy everything from pizza to cars, and is increasingly accepted by major companies such as online travel giant Expedia.

    It has surged more than 25-fold this year and hit a record of around US$19,500 earlier in December.

    Analysts have put the recent increases down to a decision by US regulators to allow bitcoin futures to trade on major exchanges.

    But bitcoin has slipped back after a series of warnings from governments - including Singapore - and analysts about the risk and volatility associated with cryptocurrencies.

    It fell more than 11 per cent after South Korea - a hotbed for cryptocurrency trading - announced curbs on anonymous trading of virtual currencies on Thursday.

    Monday, January 1, 2018 - 10:21

    0 0
    0 0
    0 0
    0 0

    SINGAPORE - A real estate developer wanted by Vietnamese authorities amid a crackdown on corruption has been detained in Singapore, lawyers representing him said on Tuesday.

    Phan Van Anh Vu, 42, was detained in Singapore on Thursday at the Tuas border checkpoint as he tried to leave for Malaysia, said Remy Choo, who said he had been engaged by Vu's family to represent him but had not yet been able to contact him.

    Vietnam's Ministry of Public Security said last month it was seeking the arrest of Vu, a major property developer in the central city of Danang, where the local leadership was shaken up after corruption accusations last year.

    Vietnamese media quoted police as saying Vu was wanted for revealing state secrets. They did not say what these related to or whether that was linked to his role as a property developer.

    Choo said Vu had applied for asylum in a European country.

    Another lawyer retained by the family, Foo Chow Ming, said:"I am now trying to obtain access to see Mr Vu, who is held in remand." Singapore's Immigration and Checkpoints Authority did not respond immediately to a request for comment.

    Vietnam's foreign ministry also did not respond immediately to a request for comment on Vu's detention in Singapore and whether Hanoi had sought his extradition.

    Singapore has close diplomatic and trade ties to Vietnam. This year, Singapore is also chairing the regional Association of Southeast Asian Nations grouping, which has sought to strengthen regional co-operation on all fronts.

    Dozens of Vietnamese officials and business figures have been arrested in a crackdown on corruption that has gathered pace since the security establishment gained greater sway in the ruling Communist Party in 2016.

    The crackdown grabbed world headlines last year when Germany accused Vietnam of kidnapping a former oil executive to return him home to face trial.

    Tuesday, January 2, 2018 - 11:24

    Warnning: Do NOT Get Caught While Searching!!
    Your IP : - Country : - City:
    Your ISP TRACKS Your Online Activity! Hide your IP ADDRESS with a VPN!
    Before you searching always remember to change your IP adress to not be followed!
    0 0

    A horrific motorcycle crash in Thailand's southern Phatthalung province on New Year's Eve (Dec 31) has claimed the lives of a Singaporean couple.

    Mr Ng Yong Sing, 27, was riding a motorcycle with Ms Vanalyn Png, 22, as his passenger when they were thrown into a three-metre deep drain at around 1.20pm.

    The Singapore-registered motorcycle, a Honda CB400 Super Four, is believed to have skidded on a wet road, reported The Straits Times.

    According to Thai reports, Mr Ng died in the crash.

    Ms Png, who suffered from broken arms and internal bleeding in her head and abdomen, was taken to a hospital, where she was placed in intensive care.

    She succumbed to her injuries just past midnight on Jan 1.

    Her brother, Mr Jervis Png, confirmed the accident on Facebook and wrote: "The doctor tried hard, but they couldn't save her. Vanalyn fought the battle bravely and she lost... She's now in a better place."

    on Facebook

    01.01.18. It has been a tough time for my family. As some of you may have known, Vanalyn got into a motorcycle accident...

    Posted by Jervis Png on Sunday, 31 December 2017

    "Vana was a happy go lucky person, always cheerful and infecting people around her with her contagious laughter. All I can say is, she lived her life too the fullest, and was happy till her last day," added Mr Png in his emotional post.

    Both victims were employees at the Select Group food and beverage chain.

    Mr Ng was a business development executive who had recently received a scholarship from the company, while Miss Png started as a marketer less than six months ago.

    According to ST, the pair left for Malaysia on Saturday and were due to return to Singapore today (Jan 2).

    However, Ms Png's siblings said she had not told the family that she was heading to Thailand. They were also not told that she was travelling with Mr Ng or doing so on a motorcycle.

    Read the full story on The Straits Times.

    Tuesday, January 2, 2018 - 12:10

    More about

    Accidents - Traffic

    0 0

    It may be convenient to zip from one place to another in Singapore using Personal Mobility Devices (PMD), but those caught using them on roads will face stiffer fines from Jan 15.

    The Land Transport Authority (LTA) said in a press release on Tuesday (Jan 2) that it is strengthening regulations and enhancing penalties to deter the errant use of PMDs.

    It is an offence under the Road Traffic Act to ride PMDs such as e-scooters and hoverboards on roads and expressways as they endanger both riders and other road users, LTA said.

    Photo: Facebook/Land Transport ityAuthr

    The penalty for first-time offenders who ride on local and major roads will be increased from $100 to $300 and $500 respectively. Their PMDs will also be impounded in the course of investigations.

    Those caught riding their PMDs on the expressway will be charged in court. If convicted, first-time offenders face a fine of up to $2,000 and/or a jail term of up to three months while repeat offenders face a fine of up to $5,000 and/or a jail term of up to six months.

    LTA said that it is raising awareness of the dangers of using PMDs on roads by engaging representatives from PMD interest groups and working with companies offering food delivery services to educate their PMD delivery crew on safe riding tips and rules.

    on Facebook

    #Scootsafe and stay off the roads! In 2017, our Active Mobility Enforcement Officers (#AMEOs) have conducted over 2400...

    Posted by Land Transport Authority – We Keep Your World Moving on Tuesday, 19 December 2017

    In 2017, LTA noted an 18 per cent increase in the number of PMD riders caught riding on the roads as compared with the previous year.

    On Nov 30 last year, a 52-year-old e-scooter rider died of head injuries after an accident with a double-decker bus. Another e-scooter rider was hurt in a separate accident with a car on the same day.

    Also read: Driver hits e-scooter delivery guy who crossed road when red man was showing on traffic light


    Tuesday, January 2, 2018 - 14:30

    0 0
    0 0
    0 0
    Warnning: Do NOT Get Caught While Searching!!
    Your IP : - Country : - City:
    Your ISP TRACKS Your Online Activity! Hide your IP ADDRESS with a VPN!
    Before you searching always remember to change your IP adress to not be followed!
    0 0

    A man whose parcel containing an iPhone 7 went missing, has gotten a full compensation for his lost item and postage fees from SingPost.

    Denny had shared his predicament with Stomp, who then contacted SingPost on his behalf.

    The Stomp contributor, who is based in Hong Kong, first left Singapore on Nov 5, 2017.

    Upon realising he had forgotten to bring his phone, Denny got in contact with his family and his mother subsequently engaged SingPost's Speedpost Priority service on Nov 7 to deliver a parcel containing his phone to Hong Kong.

    Denny said that his mother was told that it would take three days.

    However, when he did not receive the parcel after the fourth day, Denny decided to check on his parcel via the online tracking service, which showed that the parcel was still in Singapore.

    Next, he called the customer service hotline to ask if about the parcel and was told that 'it should be in Hong Kong'.

    However, he never received it.

    Over the next two weeks, Denny made repeated calls to the customer service hotline and was left dismayed by the non-replies he supposedly got.

    Despite asking for an incident report from SingPost several times, he did not receive it.

    On Nov 21, Denny's wife, who was in Singapore handling the case on his behalf, was informed by SingPost that the parcel had indeed gone missing.

    She subsequently received a claims form via her email, which she filled up.

    According to Denny, under the value of the goods lost, his wife had filled in $800, plus an additional $59 for the cost of the Speedpost service that was used. This amounted to a total of $859.

    However, the couple were later told that the postage was non-refundable and that the claims for the goods lost was capped at $150.

    After a few calls to the customer service hotline, Denny discovered that his mother did not purchase the insurance for the package. As such, the compensation was capped at $150.

    However, Denny said that his mother was not told about the insurance or the maximum amount claimable without it.

    On Dec 22, after repeated rounds of talks, Denny was told that the postage fee would be refunded, but compensation would still be capped at $150, as his mother did not indicate that she had wanted to buy insurance for the parcel.

    When Denny dropped SingPost a message on their Facebook page regarding the matter, he was told that his claims had been processed, even though he did not want to accept the $150 compensation.

    In response to a Stomp query, a SingPost spokesman said: "We are sorry about Mr Denny Ho's parcel which was lost in transit. Out of goodwill, we have provided him with full compensation and this has been accepted as satisfactory resolution.

    "Our Terms and Conditions of service state that our liability of carriage is limited to S$150. This may be referenced on our website at http://www.speedpost.com.sg/customer-care/enhancedliability.html. We urge customers shipping high value items to purchase insurance to safeguard their interests.

    "We are looking into the Facebook post cited by Mr Ho. As part of our social media policy, we do not hide or remove any posts unless the language used is profane or of a defamatory nature."

    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 - 11:33

    0 0

    If you're born in the year of the Pig, you might want to note that the most auspicious time to deposit money in the bank this year is from 1pm to 2.59pm on Feb 4. 

    This date, known as Li Chun, marks the beginning of spring in the Chinese lunar calendar.

    But don't fret, there are other less auspicious but still favourable times to bank in your money throughout the day. Different zodiac animals will have specific auspicious timings to make deposits as well.

    At least three such timetables have been released online so far, more than a month in advance of the first day of Chinese New Year, which falls on Feb 16 this year.

    Many Singaporeans believe that depositing money into their bank accounts on Li Chun day will help boost one's wealth and prosperity for the rest of the year, and long queues usually form at cash deposit machines and banks islandwide on the day.

    Aside from banking in money, Li Chun is also associated with a number of other traditions. It is said that those who manage to balance an egg will be guaranteed good fortune.

    However, some say the idea of 'lucky deposits' on Li Chun is a myth.

    Whatever the case is, perhaps it's worth remembering that for some of us, simply having money to bank in may already make you luckier than most.

    on Facebook

    Make sure you 🍍huat🍍 in 2018 and bank-in at these auspicious timings on 立春 "Li Chun" Day! Gift your loved ones an angbao from us! Here's $10 when they register an ezbuy account →bit.ly/2DNoZim

    Posted by ezbuy Singapore on Monday, 1 January 2018

    on Facebook

    SkillsHub wants you to "Heng, Ong, Huat (兴,旺,发)" in 2018. Look at the picture and find the auspicious timing to bank-in...

    Posted by SkillsHub on Tuesday, 2 January 2018

    on Facebook

    Make sure you prosper in 2018 and bank-in at these auspicious timings on 立春 Li Chun Day on 04 Feb 2018 (Sunday)! Check out the full post here at http://bit.ly/2CsphiB

    Posted by Feng Shui Beginner on Tuesday, 2 January 2018
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 - 14:11

    0 0

    A drunk woman screamed profanities, hit and bit two people in separate scuffles after she refused to pay her taxi fare.

    The incident was first reported on Dec 8, 2016, after Stomp contributor Eyeza alerted Stomp to two viral videos of the woman's brutal assault on a taxi driver and a female security guard.

    The woman, Taiwanese broker Dina Huang Chih-Yung, 31, was sentenced to three weeks' jail on Tuesday (Jan 2) for hitting and biting the taxi driver, Mr Cheng Teck Wei, 43, on his arm on Dec 7, 2016.

    Huang also received a $1,000 fine for abusing the security officer, Ms Jeiv Anay Alimithu, 39, on the same night, reported The Straits Times.

    CaptionPhoto: Credits

    Two other charges were taken into consideration in the sentencing.

    The court heard that Huang had boarded Mr Cheng's cab at Marina Bay Sands Tower 3 on the night of the incident.

    She fell asleep after boarding cab to Skysuites@Anson condominium in Enggor Street.

    Reports show that she had consumed at least 700ml of sake prior to boarding the taxi.

    After reaching her destination, Huang alighted and walked away without paying the fare.

    This prompted Mr Cheng to dash out of his taxi and grab Huang's bag to prevent her from leaving.

    In response, Huang hit Mr Cheng's arm and tried to kick him as she attempted to wrestle the bag away from him.

    However, Mr Cheng held onto the bag.

    During the process, Huang hit Mr Cheng at least four times, and screamed at him in Mandarin, asking him to let go.

    Mr Cheng compiled and released his grip.

    Huang then walked away while hurling vulgarities at him.

    She told Mr Cheng that she would wait for the police to arrive and that she 'had a lot of money'.

    A security supervisor attempted to mediate the situation and advised Huang to cool down.

    However, Huang started to hit Mr Cheng on his arm once again while shouting vulgarities at him.

    In the ensuing scuffle, Mr Cheng's glasses fell and were chipped.

    Huang then went into a Japanese restaurant nearby and complained to an assistant manager that her bag had been snatched from her.

    The manager then accompanied her out of the restaurant, and Huang approached Mr Cheng again.

    She and Mr Cheng became engaged in another scuffle.

    Ms Jeiv Anay, a security officer who arrived at the scene, tried to calm Huang down, but was bitten in her left hand, and hit on her head.

    Huang also hit her hand twice and hurled vulgarities at her as well.

    When police officers arrived, they observed that Huang was reeking of alcohol.

    She reportedly fell asleep as she squatted outside the Japanese restaurant while waiting for the officers to issue her a 'case card'.

    She also staggered while being handed the 'case card'.

    Huang's lawyer, Mr Sunil Sudheesan, together with Ms Diana Ngiam, said that his client only reacted the way she did as Mr Cheng had taken her handbag.

    He said that she had consumed alcohol due to work commitments, and she accepted responsibility for her actions, adding that she was very remorseful.

    Mr Sudheesan revealed that Huang's company was extremely sympathetic and supportive of her, and would continue to employ her.

    Huang cried after receiving the sentencing.

    She could have been jailed for up to two years and/or fined up to $5,000 for causing hurt.

    For abusing the security guard, she faced up to six months' jail and a $5,000 fine.

    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 - 14:54

    More about


    0 0
    0 0

    PORT DICKSON: A five-vehicle accident in Lukut killed four Singaporeans when a runaway lorry ploughed into their MPV at a T-junction heading to Sepang.

    A police spokesperson said that three women in the MPV died on the spot after their vehicle was crushed by the lorry in the accident, which took place at 3pm on Wednesday (Jan 3).

    He added that the driver of the MPV died while being rushed to the hospital, and said that the lorry also rammed into two cars and a motorcycle.

    The spokesperson added that the drivers of the cars and rider of the motorcycle escaped serious injuries and said that the lorry driver ran off after the incident.

    The case is being investigated under Section 41 (1) of the Road Transport Act 1987.

    Photos of the accident scene show the red lorry which had rammed into the right side of the severely damaged Honda.

    Other photos and a video also showed several people lying motionless in the Honda wreckage, crushed beneath the front wheels of the truck.

    Another black car was also involved, with its front heavily damaged.

    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 - 20:39

    More about

    Accidents - Traffic

    Warnning: Do NOT Get Caught While Searching!!
    Your IP : - Country : - City:
    Your ISP TRACKS Your Online Activity! Hide your IP ADDRESS with a VPN!
    Before you searching always remember to change your IP adress to not be followed!
    0 0
    0 0

    A 31-year-old motorcyclist was killed in an accident along the Pan-Island Expressway (PIE) towards Tuas earlier this morning (Jan 3).

    The accident took place after the Upper Jurong Road exit and before the Ayer Rajah Expressway (AYE).

    A photo showing a death tent at the accident scene has been circulating on Facebook and messaging apps.

    In response to media queries by Stomp, the police said they were alerted to the accident, involving only the motorcyclist, at 6.54am.

    The victim was found lying motionless and pronounced dead by paramedics at the scene.

    Police investigations are ongoing.

    Thursday, January 4, 2018 - 11:24

    More about

    Accidents - Traffic

    0 0
    0 0

    Stallholders at Bedok Interchange Hawker Centre say that their cutlery have been going missing for the past few months, causing a few of them to switch to disposable ones.

    Among those affected, a zichar stall had to buy an additional 300 sets of cutlery, while a western food stall bought another 400 sets within six months.

    A bee hoon stall owner, Mr Chen Jing Guang, 42, told Lianhe Wanbao that his stall has been using plastic cutlery for the last three and a half years, but they have been going missing for the past six months.

    He said: "A pair of chopsticks cost 25 cents. Just buying new cutlery at the end of every month costs an addition $10."

    He added that the stall uses only disposable cutlery now: "Each time customers ask for normal cutlery, I will explain to them the reason behind the switch."

    The hawker centre has been in operation for the past three years, and some vendors revealed that since the beginning, cutlery have been vanishing.

    After the last renovation, some vendors switched over to disposable cutlery, while others use both disposable and normal cutlery.

    A Thai food stallholder, Mr Ge Qiang, 40, lamented: "This situation has been persisting for three years already. Every three months, I'll fork out about $30 to get another 60 new sets of cutlery."

    Mr Ge said that even though the vendor has promised that cleaners will be more careful with the cutlery, the situation has not improved.

    He thus decided to provide both disposable and normal cutlery so his customers can choose.

    When asked about her opinions on disposable cutlery, a regular patron of the hawker centre, Ms Liu Qiu Ling, 20, said: "I don't mind disposable cutlery, but if I'm having something soupy, I'll prefer normal cutlery."

    Lianhe Wanbao understands that the situation varies among the stalls, and for those which are not badly affected, an average of 50 sets of cutlery would be added every three to four months.

    Thursday, January 4, 2018 - 12:03

    0 0

    A video of an accident at Port Dickson, Malaysia, on Wednesday afternoon (Jan 3) which killed four Singaporeans has surfaced online, showing a lorry speeding through the intersection before crashing into other vehicles.

    The accident which involved five vehicles - a Singapore register Honda Stream, a tipper truck, a Mercedes-Benz SUV, a Perodua Myvi and a motorcycle -happened at a T-junction in Jalan Lukut Sepang, at around 2.30pm.

    Videos of the accident have since been circulating on social media.

    One of the video shows the tipper truck speeding through the intersection, and ploughing into the Honda, along with the three other vehicles.

    Three passengers on the Honda including Madam Maimunah Sapari, 51, Ms Nur Amalina Rosli, 21, and Ms Dayana Sarah Rosli, 18, died at the scene.

    The driver, Mr Rosli Samad, 54, died while being conveyed to Seremban Hospital, confirmed Port Dickson police chief Zainudin Ahmad.

    The accident also left the motorcycle rider injured.

    The police chief said that the 54-year-old lorry driver fled the scene on foot after the accident but subsequently turned himself in at the Lukut police station, at around 5.30pm.

    He will be remanded on Thursday (Jan 4) to assist in investigations.

    Senior Assistant Superintendent Razif M. Haris, head of the Fire and Rescue Department in Port Dickson, revealed that it took 17 minutes to extricate Mr Rosli from the wreckage of the Honda.

    The Honda that was crushed beneath the truck, was freed after the truck was lifted using a crane.

    Traffic on the road resumed at around 4.25pm.

    A local news agency reported that preliminary investigations found that the truck, which was coming from Sepang, had collided with the motorcycle, before skidding onto the opposite lane and crashing into the Honda Stream, and the two other vehicles.

    According to The Straits Times, Mr Rosli was the owner of R S Bikes Centre, a motorcycle dealership in Kaki Bukit.

    His son also helps in managing the firm.

    A business owner who owns the neighbouring Sanfau Motor at Autobay, Mr Jawa, said that Mr Rosli's son had closed the shop at about 3pm after learning about the accident.

    He added that Mr Rosli was a low-profile person and the shop has been in operation since eight years ago.

    A sales manager for Lupromax engine oil, Mr Vanga Ganasan, 28, said that Mr Rosli was a client and a skilled mechanic:

    "He was one of three mechanics in Singapore who knew how to maintain my 1990s BMW R1100GS motorcycle. He was a good man, and he was generous with his time.

    "I did not think that it would be the last time I would see him."

    In response to media queries, a Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman said:

    "MFA extends our deepest condolences to the family of the four Singaporeans who passed away in the tragic car accident at Port Dickson, Malaysia.

    "The Singapore High Commission in Kuala Lumpur is in contact with the Malaysian authorities and is rendering the necessary consular assistance to the next-of-kin of the family."

    So far, 11 Singaporeans have been killed in traffic accidents overseas since December 2017.

    Thursday, January 4, 2018 - 12:19

    More about

    Accidents - Traffic

    Warnning: Do NOT Get Caught While Searching!!
    Your IP : - Country : - City:
    Your ISP TRACKS Your Online Activity! Hide your IP ADDRESS with a VPN!
    Before you searching always remember to change your IP adress to not be followed!

older | 1 | .... | 278 | 279 | (Page 280) | 281 | 282 | .... | 299 | newer