Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Channel Catalog

older | 1 | .... | 280 | 281 | (Page 282) | 283 | 284 | .... | 299 | newer

    0 0
    0 0
    0 0

    Flash floods struck several parts of Singapore after heavy rain this morning (Jan 8), causing traffic to come to a standstill.

    Several Stomp contributors alerted us to the flash flood, which is said to have occurred at Bedok towards Changi Business Park.

    The photos that both Stompers sent showed flooding along Upper Changi Road.

    Cars on roads seen submerged in water after heavy rains cause flash floods in Singapore

    Stomp contributor Kai commended the firemen who came out of the nearby fire station to help others.

    She said, "My friend was there outside the station. He saw the firemen coming out to divert traffic and also helping to push the cars."

    She added that the flood was 'very bad' and that the water level was 'knee-high'.

    Members of the public were also seen helping to push a vehicle in the flood, in a video that Stomp contributor Dean sent.

    Other parts of Singapore were also affected as the Public Utilities Board (PUB) and the Land Transport Authority (LTA) both warned of flooding at the junction of Bedok Road and Upper Changi Road, along Tampines Road, Sims Avenue, Jalan Nipah and Arumugam Road.

    on Twitter

    Traffic was impassable at Jalan Nipah due to the flash flood, according to a tweet by PUB at 9.26am.

    PUB also announced that several waterways including Bedok Canal, Sungei Tongkang and Sungei Kallang were over 90 per cent full, resulting in PUB issuing a 'high flood risk' alert for those areas.

    Monday, January 8, 2018 - 11:54

    More about


    0 0
    0 0
    Warnning: Do NOT Get Caught While Searching!!
    Your IP : - Country : - City:
    Your ISP TRACKS Your Online Activity! Hide your IP ADDRESS with a VPN!
    Before you searching always remember to change your IP adress to not be followed!
    0 0

    It was a wet and dreary Monday (Jan 8) for many commuters and motorists early this morning, as the heavy rain caused flash floods at several locations in eastern Singapore.

    According to a statement from water agency PUB, flooding occurred at these nine areas:

    1. Tampines Road (Opp Jalan Teliti)

    2. Tampines Ave 12 (Opp Tampines Eco Green)

    3. Arumugam Road

    4. Sims Ave/Eunos Road 8

    5. Sims Ave/Tanjong Katong Road

    6. Jalan Nipah

    7. Bedok Road/New Upper Changi Road

    8. Upper Changi Road/Bedok North Ave 4

    9. Bedok Road/Upper Changi Road East

    Cars on roads seen submerged in water after heavy rains cause flash floods in Singapore

    Some of the locations are known to be hotspots, or are subject to tidal influence. These include areas surrounding Upper Changi Road, which lead to the Bedok canal.

    PUB added that there are already ongoing drainage improvement works to improve flood protection for these locations.

    Describing the rainfall on Monday as "intense", PUB said the wet weather conditions caused by the prevailing Northeast Monsoon was aggravated by the development of a Sumatra squall over the Straits of Malacca which moved eastwards, affecting Singapore.

    Widespread rain fell over Singapore this morning, with the heaviest rainfall (118.8mm) recorded at the Kim Chuan Road rain gauge between 6.20am to 10.25am. Rainfall at the Kim Chuan Road area peaked between 8am and 8.30am, with an intensity of 56mm per hour.

    The 118.8mm of rainfall is about half of Singapore's average monthly rainfall in January.

    On social media, netizens have been sharing photos and videos of the flooding, including one which showed vehicles stuck in the water. Commuters at a flooded bus stop were also forced to stand on the seats while waiting for their rides.

    on Facebook

    That must have been a frightening experience. We're glad the lady seemed alright. More photos of the flood situation in the eastern part of Singapore this morning: https://goo.gl/HnzybZ

    Posted by AsiaOne on Sunday, 7 January 2018

    Another video circulating on mobile messaging platforms showed water pouring down the roof of a HDB lift. According to Facebook user Josh Ng, the video was taken at the carpark lift of Tampines block 492A.

    on Facebook

    Baey Yam Keng HDB Waterfall feature @492A Carpark!

    Posted by Josh Ng on Sunday, 7 January 2018


    Monday, January 8, 2018 - 16:33
    'Intense rain' caused flash floods at 9 locations in eastern Singapore: PUB

    0 0

    A Singaporean in Malaysia was fined RM8,000 (S$2,700) in default of eight months' jail for an act of animal cruelty on Monday (Jan 8).

    Terry Yee, 58, changed his plea to guilty after the charge was read to him in English at PJ Magistrate's Court in Selangor, Bernama reported.

    In a video clip that went viral on social media last April, Yee was seen repeatedly hitting a guard dog with a helmet at the entrance of a housing estate in Puchong.

    The video sparked outrage from netizens after it was shared on Facebook.

    Yee apologised for his actions a few days after the incident and told The Star in an interview that he was an animal lover. The man said he had "snapped" after the dog "attacked" him that day.

    However, he later claimed trial and pleaded not guilty to animal abuse in August.

    According to New Straits Times, Yee's counsel Jerald Gomez had asked for a lighter sentence for his client, saying that the dog was not seriously injured from the attack.

    "My client lost his job (in the franchise business) after the video of the incident went viral on social media. He is also remorseful for his act," Gomez said.

    However, the deputy public prosecutor from the Veterinary Services Department said that Yee's offence was serious and asked the court for a deterrent sentence.


    Monday, January 8, 2018 - 17:40

    More about

    animal abuse

    0 0
    0 0

    JOHOR BARU: The transport and logistic providers welcome the decision by Singapore to revise and abolish charges for vehicles leaving and entering the republic via the Woodlands checkpoint effective Feb 1.

    Pan-Malaysian Lorry Owners Association president Anthony Tan said the move would help to im­­prove and increase cross-border trade between Malaysia and Singa­pore.

    “It will lower the costs of sending goods to and from Singapore,” he said yesterday.

    Tan hopes the Malaysian Govern­ment will also reduce, or better still, abolish toll charges at the Second Link Crossing in Tanjung Kupang, Gelang Patah.

    Tan said lorries coming from the central and northern parts of Malaysia and north of Johor such as Batu Pahat, Muar and Senai could use the Second Link while those from the central, east and south of Johor use the Causeway.

    He said there were about 3,000 Malaysian-registered lorries using the Johor Causeway daily.

    Johor South SME Association founding president Teh Kee Sin said people in Johor Baru and Singapore would be happy with the revision and abolishment of the toll charges.

    This was certainly good news for thousands of Malaysians who commuted to the republic daily from Johor Baru, he said.

    Malaysian Indian Commerce Asso­ciation president P. Sivakumar said the impact would be especially good for the development of Iskandar Malaysia.

    Singapore revised its toll charges at the Woodland checkpoint to match Malaysia’s recent removal of toll charges at the Eastern Dispersal Link (EDL).

    The Land Transport Authority of Singapore said this was in line with Singapore’s long-standing policy of matching Malaysia’s toll rates.

    Singapore toll charges for all ve­­hicles (except motorcycles) leaving Singapore via Woodlands will be reduced, and toll charges for all vehicles (except motorcycles) entering the republic via Woodlands will be removed.

    Presently, car owners pay S$3.80 (RM11.40) and S$2.70 (RM8.10) for leaving and entering Singapore. Effective Feb 1, they will only pay S$1 (RM3) to leave the republic.

    For now, vans and light goods vehicles pay S$5.80 (RM17.40) to leave and S$4 (RM12) to enter but from Feb 1, it costs S$1.50 (RM4.50); heavy goods vehicles pay S$7.70 (RM23.10) to enter and S$5.30 (RM15.90) to leave and from Feb 1, S$2 (RM6); taxis pay S$1.90 (RM5.70) to leave and S$1.40 (RM4.20) to enter and from Feb 1, 50 cents (RM1.50); and buses pay S$3.10 (RM9.30) to leave and S$2.20 (RM6.60) to enter and from Feb 1, 80 cents (RM2.40).

    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 - 10:09

    More about


    0 0
    Warnning: Do NOT Get Caught While Searching!!
    Your IP : - Country : - City:
    Your ISP TRACKS Your Online Activity! Hide your IP ADDRESS with a VPN!
    Before you searching always remember to change your IP adress to not be followed!
    0 0

    SINGAPORE - Seventeen men have been arrested and millions of dollars in cash seized as part of an investigation into a suspected oil theft at Shell's biggest refinery, Singapore police said on Tuesday.

    The arrests, made during raids on Sunday, come after Royal Dutch Shell Plc reported the theft to Singapore authorities at its Pulau Bukom industrial site in August last year.

    The company said in a news release that the arrests included "a limited number of Shell employees" and that it anticipated "a short delay in the supply operations at Bukom." Those arrested, all men, ranged in age from 30 to 63.

    Police said they also seized S$3.05 million in cash and a small, 12,000-deadweight-tonne tanker.

    They have also frozen the suspects' bank accounts, the police said.

    Bukom is the largest wholly owned Shell refinery in the world in terms of crude distillation capacity, according to the company's website.

    Shell declined to say how much oil had been stolen.

    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 - 10:55

    0 0

    Three young men took two pairs of Adidas shoes that were outside a residential unit at Woodlands Drive 70, taking their own sweet time to inspect the loot and displaying various antics in the process.

    However, what they did not know was that the resident, Stomp contributor WJ, had an advanced CCTV system installed outside her flat, at the door bell.

    WJ said she discovered on Jan 5 that two pairs of shoes and a shoe rack were missing from outside her flat at Block 717A.

    Upon replaying CCTV footage, she realised that "three males, aged between 18 to 22, had been at the scene "at 2.30am to 3am on Jan 4" and taken her shoes.

    Said the Stomp contributor: "They were caught in clear view loitering along the corridor compound at Woodlands Drive 70.

    "One man was on the lookout while the other two searched for something to take.

    "Unfortunately for them, I had a video doorbell installed. It is unlike those ordinary cameras installed at the top corner of the unit.

    "The men were wearing caps to evade those normal cameras at the top of the unit, but this time round was different."

    WJ, who has made a police report, would like to tell the three men: "You can hide and run to create an insecure neighbourhood, but your luck has run out and you can't fool technology. I hope this video will make you remorseful."

    She added: "Before committing their act, the first guy (in a tank top) still acted some stunt.

    "On his second attempt, he actually reached his hand into my unit compound to take the second pair of shoes."

    In response to queries by Stomp, the police confirm that a report was lodged and investigations are ongoing.

    WJ's photos are captioned above, or watch the CCTV footage below.

    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 - 14:50
    Woodlands shoe thieves wear caps but fail to evade CCTV camera planted in doorbell

    0 0

    SINGAPORE - Eleven men were charged in a Singapore court on Tuesday in connection with a large-scale oil theft at Shell's biggest refinery, while police said they were investigating six other men arrested in a weekend raid.

    Police said on Tuesday they had detained 17 men, whose ages ranged from 30 to 63, and seized millions of dollars in cash and a small tanker during their investigations into theft at the Pulau Bukom industrial site, which sits just south of Singapore's main island.

    Oil refining and shipping have contributed significantly to Singapore's rising wealth during the past decades. But the case underlines the challenges the industry faces in a region that has become a hotspot for illegal oil trading.

    The investigation began after Shell contacted the authorities in August 2017, police said in a news release. After"extensive investigations and probes," the Criminal Investigation Department, Police Intelligence Department and Police Coast Guard launched a series of simultaneous raids across Singapore, which led to the arrests.

    Nine Singaporeans were immediately charged in the theft, of which eight were employees of the Singapore subsidiary of Royal Dutch Shell Plc, court documents showed. Two Vietnamese nationals were charged with receiving stolen goods on a small tanker named Prime South, the documents showed.

    Shipping data from Thomson Reuters Eikon showed the Prime South had been shipping fuel between Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, and Singapore for the past 30 days.


    Tuesday's cases could be just the first insight into a grander scheme.

    The charges seen so far allege three incidents of gasoil theft: on Nov. 21, 2017, of more than 2,322 tonnes valued at S$1.277 million; and on Jan. 5 and 7 this year of a combined 2,062 tonnes of gasoil, valued at S$1.126 million.

    The Vietnamese nationals were charged with receiving gasoil in the early evening hours of Jan. 7, at wharf 5 at the heart of Shell's operations on Bukom island, the documents show.

    Meanwhile, police say the other six men arrested remain under investigation.

    During raids on Sunday, police said they seized S$3.05 million in cash and the 12,000-deadweight-tonne tanker. They have also frozen suspects' bank accounts.

    The 11 charged in court on Jan 9 were among 17 suspects arrested after the Shell made a report over alleged fuel misappropriation in August last year.​
    Photo: Shin Min Daily News

    Shell said on Tuesday it anticipated "a short delay" in its supply operations at Bukom, its largest wholly owned refinery in the world in terms of crude distillation capacity. It declined to say the total amount of oil stolen.

    It is the second high-profile case of wrongdoing at companies in Singapore to hit headlines in recent weeks, after Keppel Corporation Ltd's rig-building business agreed in December to pay more than $422 million to resolve charges it bribed Brazilian officials.


    Singapore is one of the world's most important oil trading hubs, with much of the Middle East's crude oil passing through Singapore before being delivered to the huge consumers in China, Japan and South Korea.

    Singapore is also Southeast Asia's main refinery hub and the world's biggest marine refuelling stop.

    Shell is one of the biggest and longest established foreign investors in Singapore. Its oil refinery on Bukom island can process 500,000 barrels per day.

    Illicit oil trading is widespread in Southeast Asia. In some cases, oil has been illegally siphoned from storage tanks, but there have also been thefts at sea, including whole ships being seized for the oil cargo.

    The Regional Cooperation Agreement on Combating Piracy and Armed Robbery against Ships in Asia (ReCAAP) says that siphoning of fuel and oil at sea in Asia, including through armed robbery and piracy, saw sharp increases between 2011 and 2015.

    There has been a modest decline since then, although the organisation said in a quarterly report that oil theft was still "of concern," especially in the South China Sea, off the east coast of Malaysia.

    The stolen fuel is generally sold across Southeast Asia, offloaded directly into trucks or tanks at small harbours away from oil terminals.

    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 - 15:36

    0 0

    Several Singaporeans have reported receiving a link to a website claiming to offer an NTUC FairPrice gift card worth $400 in return for doing a survey.

    The website claimed that FairPrice was giving away the gift cards in commemoration of its 45th anniversary, and participants would be eligible for a card if they send the link to 15 other friends, and took part in the survey.

    Stomp contributor Raymond was among of the people who received the link on Tuesday (Jan 9) at around 10am,

    Dismissing it as a scam, Raymond did not believe it until he received the link from many of his ex-schoolmates and even his manager.

    He became curious and went down to the Downtown East Fairprice supermarket at around 11.15am to verify the information.

    Raymond said he spoke to the branch manager who called the headquarters and confirmed that that survey did not originate from FairPrice.

    Said Raymond:

    "The public should verify the information before sending to other people.

    "The problem starts because you receive it from someone you trust, like old friends and just follow the instructions blindly. "

    Stomp contributor Casey also received several messages from several people whom he had not been in contact with for a long time, causing him to become suspicious.

    Said Casey:

    "The message has been circulating on social media, Whatapp.

    "I've been receiving several of this message even from several people whom I've not been in contact for a long long time!"

    To address the issue, NTUC FairPrice has posted an official statement on their Facebook page.

    The statement reads:

    "PSA: Dear Shoppers, we were alerted of a new online survey scam that was hosted on multiple unofficial websites impersonating Fairprice.

    "The site claims to reward customers with a SG$400 gift card voucher in celebration of our 45th Anniversary. Please be wary that this message was not created nor endorsed by us. We advise customers to ignore the site and avoid sharing the link."

    The post featured screenshots of the scam site, and even comments citing that the offer was real.

    FairPrice reminds customers to be wary of the scams and urged them to share the information with their friends and family to avoid falling prey.


    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 - 17:34

    0 0
    Warnning: Do NOT Get Caught While Searching!!
    Your IP : - Country : - City:
    Your ISP TRACKS Your Online Activity! Hide your IP ADDRESS with a VPN!
    Before you searching always remember to change your IP adress to not be followed!
    0 0
    0 0
    0 0
    0 0

    Residents of Block 55, Toa Payoh Lorong 5 are spooked by the 'irregular behaviour' of an elderly couple living in a rental flat on the 10th floor.

    The woman was seen hurling burning items over the parapet and splashing a seemingly corrosive liquid outside her home, causing many residents to be concerned about their safety, The Straits Times reported.

    The metal gates and a stretch of the corridor outside the couple's unit were corroded, exposing bricks, metal pipes, and a pitted floor.

    The bizarre incidents surrounding the couple have been going on for over two years, a next-door neighbour said.

    Some days, she would find ashes and salt on her front door and windows, or her laundry on the corridor covered in oil.

    Photo: The Straits Times

    A 40-year-old housewife, who asked to remain anonymous, said that she has been hearing the woman shouting loudly every morning at around 7am for the past two months.

    She said: "I can't make out what she says. So I just assume that she's just mentally unsound and left it at that."

    According to the housewife, two officers had visited her unit last Friday (Jan 5).

    "A policewoman asked me if I've had any problems with my neighbours, and I said no. She later showed me some pictures of the corridor outside the woman's flat and said that some neighbours complained of her splashing things there.

    "I took a look and was shocked. It looked as though somebody had splashed corrosive liquid there."

    When she and her husband went up to the 10th floor to take a look at the elderly couple's flat, they were shocked.

    She said: "The area outside the woman's flat was a mess. There was a strong chemical smell in the air and we felt a stinging sensation in our eyes. We quickly left the area after that."

    Photo: Shin Min Daily News

    Another neighbour who declined to be named said he saw the woman throwing burning items over the parapet, and added: "I fear for my safety and that of the children living in this block."

    Lianhe Wanbao reporters later visited the couple's unit and spoke to the woman, who claimed that her next-door neighbour had been intentionally pouring faeces and urine at her unit for the past two to three years.

    Thus, she had to scrub and wash the place with salt water every day.

    She also alleged that they would use a hammer to hit her metal gates and the wall outside her unit.

    However, the alleged neighbour, Mr Ye, 80, denied the claims and said that the elderly woman's multiple scrubbing sessions each day have corroded the corridor walls and her metal gates.

    He added that he did not dare to open his windows or door, and called the police over 30 times in past seven years to report his neighbours' weird behaviour.

    Mr Ye, who had a stroke, said he was afraid that he might slip and fall as the corridor was constantly wet from the woman's washing.

    In response to media queries, the Bishan-Toa Payoh Town Council said that the resident does not pose any danger to herself or others. It is also working with various agencies to help resolve the matter.

    In a statement issued on Saturday, town council chairman Chong Kee Hiong said that grassroots leaders who visited the elderly woman's flat discovered that she had used salt, vinegar, and baking powder to scrub the wall and floor repeatedly to 'get rid of spirits'. She would also throw cold ash over the parapet.

    The agencies said they are aware of her actions and have been offering help to the woman over the past few months.

    Mr Chong, however, said that the woman has 'adamantly refused offers of help' despite the agencies repeated attempts.

    He said: "The police are monitoring if there are adequate grounds to compel her to seek professional help, but their current assessment is that she poses no danger to herself or residents."

    Although repair works were carried out, the woman continued washing the corridors.

    The agencies involved also noted that the couple had been staying in the unit for over 10 years and relocating them would not solve the underlying problem.

    Mr Chong said: "It would be unfair to the woman's husband to simply transfer the problem to another precinct and this may exacerbate her condition."

    However, alternative housing arrangements are being considered, especially if her behaviour does not improve after receiving treatment.

    The agencies also emphasized that they would take the safety of all residents into account when dealing with the issue and expressed hope that the situation would reach a satisfactory outcome.

    Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 15:48

    More about


    0 0
    Warnning: Do NOT Get Caught While Searching!!
    Your IP : - Country : - City:
    Your ISP TRACKS Your Online Activity! Hide your IP ADDRESS with a VPN!
    Before you searching always remember to change your IP adress to not be followed!

older | 1 | .... | 280 | 281 | (Page 282) | 283 | 284 | .... | 299 | newer