Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Channel Catalog

older | 1 | .... | 295 | 296 | (Page 297) | 298 | 299 | newer

    0 0

    A 59-year-old man who is believed to be involved in a case of armed robbery 22 years ago has finally been arrested.

    On July 5, 1996 at about 11am, two unknown men armed with knives approached a 43-year-old victim and robbed him of about $44,000 outside an OCBC branch near Blk 65 Yuan Kuang Road in Taman Jurong.

    The duo then fled on a stolen motorcycle. Following police investigation, two men aged 59 and 65 were arrested and charged in court, while a third man remained at large.

    With the assistance of the Royal Malaysia Police (RMP), the third suspect was arrested in Malaysia on Monday and was extradited back to Singapore on Tuesday.

    Deputy Assistant Commissioner of Police Julian Chee, Deputy Commander of Jurong Police Division, said: "The arrest and extradition of the suspect after 22 years on the run was made possible through the strong support of the RMP.

    "I would like to thank the RMP for their efforts to locate and arrest the suspect. Through good partnership with foreign law enforcement agencies, the police will persevere and ensure that criminals are brought back to face justice regardless how long it takes."

    If found guilty for armed robbery, the suspect faces an imprisonment term of up to 14 years and up to 12 strokes of the cane.


    Thursday, March 8, 2018 - 09:49

    More about


    0 0
    0 0

    A video has been circulating on Facebook, showing two girls slapping and kicking another girl at a corridor

    The video, posted on Singapore Ink’s Facebook page, shows two girls - one in a blue shirt, while the other sporting a physical education (PE) attire from Dunman Secondary School - squatting by another girl in black.

    The girl in blue is seen talking with the girl in black when she suddenly slaps the latter with the back of her right face.

    The slap lands squarely on the girl’s face, and the two is seen arguing.

    The girl in blue suddenly slaps the girl in black again, this time on the left cheek. 

    The girl in black protests, but the two other girls start kicking and stepping on her. 

    They only stop after the victim falls to the ground. 

    Aside from the three girls, two other girls were also caught watching on as the assault unfolded, while another girl is believed to be responsible for filming the event. 

    According to Shin Min Daily News, the incident happened at Block 19 Jalan Sultan, on February 15, 2018, and the victim, 15, has lodged a police report after the video of the assault went viral online.

    It is also believed that one of the assailants live in the same block where the incident happened. 

    The assault may have been triggered by the victim speaking ill about one of the assailant’s family members, reports Shin Min Daily News. 

    The girl wearing the PE attire is understood to have already graduated, and not currently a student of the school.

    The other girls ranging between 14 and 18 years old,  also do not hail come from the secondary school. 

    In response to media queries, a police spokesman confirmed that a report was lodged, and investigations are ongoing. 

    Thursday, March 8, 2018 - 12:24

    More about


    0 0
    0 0

    Thursday, March 8, 2018 - 15:33
    What to see at i Light Marina Bay 2018

    Warnning: Do NOT Get Caught While Searching!!
    Your IP : - Country : - City:
    Your ISP TRACKS Your Online Activity! Hide your IP ADDRESS with a VPN!
    Before you searching always remember to change your IP adress to not be followed!
    0 0

    Singapore - A "sudden turn" by the American warship USS John S. McCain led to a collision with a tanker last year off Singapore that left 10 sailors dead, a report by the city-state's government said Thursday.

    Singapore's transport ministry, releasing the results of its investigation into the incident, said a "series of missteps" by the destroyer's crew and insufficient action by those of the tanker, the Alnic MC, contributed to the accident.

    The vessels smashed into each other in the predawn hours of August 21, 2017 in the busy shipping lanes around the Strait of Malacca. There were no casualties among the tanker's crew.

    The commander of the John S. McCain is facing charges including negligent homicide and dereliction of duty, the US Navy said in January, after its own investigation into the incident found "multiple failures" by the ship's crew.

    Singapore said its 35-page report did not blame any organisation or individual for the fatal crash, but found the warship made an abrupt turn after a transfer of controls caused confusion among the crew.

    "The collision... happened because of a sudden turn to port (left) by JSM (John S. McCain), which caused it to head into the path of the (tanker)," the report said.

    It also noted that several sailors on watch at the John S. McCain during the collision had been assigned from another warship with steering control systems that were "significantly different".

    "These differences were not compensated for. Inadequacies in training and familiarisation before the task allocation may have contributed to the actions on John S. McCain," it said.

    The collision took place within three minutes of the warship's sudden turn, it said, adding however that the actions taken by the tanker's crew "were insufficient to avoid" the smashup.

    "When the bridge team of Alnic MC saw the USS John S. McCain turning, it presumed that the (warship) would be able to safely pass ahead," it said.

    The incident came after another destroyer, the USS Fitzgerald, smashed into a Philippine-flagged cargo ship off Japan in June 2017, leaving seven sailors dead.

    In a report on the two separate collisions, US Chief of Naval Operations Admiral John Richardson said both were "preventable and the respective investigations found multiple failures by watch standers that contributed to the incidents".

    The US Navy said in November that the John S. McCain collision "resulted primarily from complacency, over-confidence and lack of procedural compliance".

    "In particular, McCain's commanding officer disregarded recommendations from his executive officer, navigator and senior watch officer to set sea and anchor watch teams in a timely fashion," it said.

    Friday, March 9, 2018 - 00:00

    0 0

    The Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority (AVA) has recalled all rockmelons imported from Australia as a precautionary measure over an outbreak of human listeriosis.

    New information from Australian authorities suggest that more contaminated rockmelons had been exported to Singapore. The whole rockmelons, or cantaloupe, from the specific Australian grower have been linked to an outbreak of human listeriosis there, where four people have died.

    AVA had earlier recalled two consignments of rockmelons from the implicated source. 

    Australian authorities confirmed that the farm had stopped production on Feb 23 and that there are no other affected farms in Australia. 

    AVA said it will continue to work with the Australian authorities on this matter. It added that earlier samples of locally sold rockmelons have been sent for food safety tests, including testing for listeria. The results are pending.

    Listeriosis is a bacterial infection caused by Listeria monocytogenes. The bacteria is found in the environment, such as soil, water, effluents and the faeces of humans and animals. 

    Food items which could be contaminated by the bacteria include raw or ready-to-eat foods, such as raw (unpasteurised) milk or raw meat and their products, seafood, and fresh produce including fruits and vegetables.

    A person with mild listeriosis usually has fever and muscle aches, preceded by diarrhoea or other gastrointestinal symptoms.

    There have been no reported cases of listeriosis linked to consumption of rockmelons in Singapore, said the AVA.

    It advised food retail establishments to temporarily stop the sale of rockmelons or the use of rockmelons in dishes prepared for public consumption with immediate effect until further notice.

    This applies to rockmelons from Australia. However, if retailers are unsure of the source of their rockmelons, they should also stop the sale or use of such rockmelons as a precaution, advised AVA.

    Consumers who have purchased rockmelons from Australia, or are unsure of the source of the rockmelons purchased, are advised not to consume them. Consumers who do not feel well after consumption of rockmelon should seek medical attention.

    Graphic: The Straits Times


    Friday, March 9, 2018 - 09:40

    0 0

    A Singaporean national received a sentence of 13 years’ imprisonment and a Rp 100 million (S$9,600) fine for sexual assault in Batam on Thursday.

    The man, Mohammad Asri bin Sapuan, 46, was found guilty of assaulting three minors in September 2017.

    His victims, aged 12, 15 and 16, previously took art courses at Mohammad’s house in Batam.

    The parents of one of the children grew suspicious of Mohammad after reading a text message in their child’s cellphone. Following a discussion with their child to find out more information about Mohammad, the parents filed a police report.

    He was arrested in October 2017.

    Judges found him guilty of violating Article No. 76/2014 on child protection.

    He was also found guilty of overstaying his visa while in Batam. The police said his passport was last stamped by the immigration office on Jan. 30, 2014.

    Mohammad, who fell into tears after the sentence was read, said he was ready to accept his punishment. 

    Friday, March 9, 2018 - 09:57

    0 0

    A taxi driver accidentally stumbled upon a flat in Sengkang which had been illegally leased out on Airbnb, while he was ferrying some tourists from Changi Airport on Tuesday (March 7).

    The cabby alerted Shin Min Daily News to the incident on Wednesday (March 8) and reporters later spoke to the owner of the flat who said that she was unaware that such leasing was illegal.

    According to the cabby, Mr Hong, the tourists asked to head to Sengkang.

    He said: "Those two tourists directly passed me an invoice retrieved from Airbnb that had the address on it.

    "When I found out that this was a Housing and Development Board (HDB) flat, I started feeling that something was wrong.

    "I remember that according to regulations, it is illegal to lease out HDB flats for short-term stays."

    After taking a look at the invoice, Mr Hong told the tourists that the destination they were headed to was not a hotel, nor was it a residential unit allowed for short-term stays under the regulations.

    However, the tourists replied that the owner of the flat was also staying in the flat with them.

    Mr Hong continued: "When we arrived at Fernvale Link in Sengkang, I realised that the place was really an HDB flat. I started questioning myself if the regulations have changed."

    Reporters later found a listing of the unit based on a photo of the invoice sent by Mr Hong.

    They discovered that the owner charged $42 a night for one room, and there were 45 positive reviews on the listing.

    After that, the reporters paid a visit to the flat.

    The female owner of the flat said that she was unclear if this was against regulations, and thought that it was fine for her to rent out her room.

    She said: "We looked at the Airbnb website and found that so many other people renting out their houses."

    When reporters searched on Airbnb for the listing again on Wednesday (March 7), they found that it had been taken down.

    Friday, March 9, 2018 - 10:25

    More about


    0 0

    Grab, most commonly known for its ride sharing platform, has just announced that it is launching GrabCycle Beta, an app that will aggregate bike sharing partners oBike, GBikes, Anywheel, and Popscoot into a single app.

    The newly launched app allows anyone to find a bike or an e-scooter whenever they need it.

    According to Grab's press release, GrabCycle is a project by GrabVentures, which is Grab's innovation arm to test new mobility and payment concepts.

    Photo: Vulcan Post

    Along with the announcement, Grab has also announced that it is partnering up with Sentosa as its first GrabCycle Venue partner.

    Through the partnership, there will be GrabCycle bike parking stations across Sentosa, where riders can easily park their bicycles or e scooters easily.

    Here's a look at the app announced at the press event:

    Photo: Vulcan Post
    Photo: Vulcan Post

    "With GrabCycle, we move one step closer towards our vision of being a true multi-modal platform with transport options to suit every need," said Reuben Lai, Head of GrabVentures.

    If you are wondering when the app will be available, there are no official date announced.

    However, Grab shared that it is expecting to roll out the app by first half of the year.

    Photo: Vulcan Post

    For partners like oBike, GBikes, Anywheel, and Popscoot, they will have access to Grab's 86 million user base, and also enjoy GrabPay and GrabRewards' integration.

    Founded in Singapore in January 2017, oBike claims to be Southeast Asia's first smart station-less bike-sharing company.

    In Singapore, there are reportedly over 14,000 oBikes docked around various locations, with more than a million active users in a country of 5.5 million people.

    Grab also quietly invested in oBike's $45 million Series B round that was announced in August, as reported by tech media Techcrunch.

    Photo: Vulcan Post

    GBikes on the other hand, have raised $20 million in its initial round of funding.

    Since its inception in May last year, GBikes shared that it planned to launch 3,000 of its bicycles throughout Singapore by end-September.

    With bike sharing heating up in Singapore, it makes sense for Grab to launch an aggregator app instead of launching their own bike sharing service.

    It stays true to Grab's strategy in the early days, where it was originally launched as an asset light third party taxi-booking app.

    This is similar to other technology giants around the world - where everyone is operating an asset light model.

    Just as Facebook does not own any of the content on its platform, Airbnb does not own any of the properties on its platform, GrabCycle now too does not own any of the bicycles on its platform.

    Friday, March 9, 2018 - 12:00

    Warnning: Do NOT Get Caught While Searching!!
    Your IP : - Country : - City:
    Your ISP TRACKS Your Online Activity! Hide your IP ADDRESS with a VPN!
    Before you searching always remember to change your IP adress to not be followed!
    0 0

    A 29-year-old man smashed the windshield of a Mercedes-Benz during a heated dispute at Syed Alwi Road and was subsequently taken to a hospital. 

    The incident happened on Tuesday (March 6) at 3.02am. 

    A video of the dispute has been circulating on WhatsApp, with many several readers alerting Stomp to it. 

    In the video, a group of people is shown embroiled in an altercation at a stall.

    Overturned tables and chairs can be seen in the backdrop. 

    A man and a woman enter a black Mercedes through a rear door, while a man in black gets into the driver seat. 

    A woman in black then opens the door to the driver compartment, but the man in black quickly shuts it again. 

    Another man in red is seen being restrained by three others from getting to the man in black. 

    The man in red suddenly breaks free and starts punching the windshield of the Mercedes, with the impact of his blows cracking the windscreen. 

    A woman in white tries to restrain him with little success. 

    The man in black proceeds to drive off while the man is still hitting it. 

    In response to a Stomp query, a police spokesman said: "On March 6, 2018, at 3.02am, the police were alerted to a case of voluntarily causing hurt along Syed Alwi Road. 

    "A 29-year-old man was conscious when conveyed to Tan Tock Seng Hospital.

    "Police are looking into the matter."

    Friday, March 9, 2018 - 16:02
    Man hammers Merc windscreen with his fist until it shatters during dispute at Syed Alwi Road

    0 0

    A man passed $1.66 million to his daughter to help him purchase a semi-detached house but later found out that she had bought the property under her own name and he did not have any stake in it.

    Mr Huang Su took his daughter, Ms Huang Yulan, to court but died before a verdict was delivered.

    His eldest son, Mr Huang Yu, continued with the lawsuit in his name,  demanding that his sister accounts for the missing sum that his father had passed her. 

    According to Lianhe Wanbao, Mr Huang and his wife,  Madam Wu Yazha, had come to Singapore from Malaysia in the 1950s. 

    Mr Huang, a student at a Chinese school, spoke no English and only had a primary school education. 

    The couple used their savings to buy a plot of land in Aljunied in 1955, where they stayed with their 10 children — seven sons and three daughters. 

    Twelve years later, Mr Huang started a construction business with a sibling and his eldest son. 

    They tore down some kampung houses in Jalan Raya and built two semi-detached houses. 

    Mr Huang, his wife, and eldest son stayed in the bigger one of the two, while some of his children stayed in the smaller one. 

    Madam Wu passed away in 1985, and the two semi-detached houses under her name were given to her husband and children as instructed in her will.

    The family did not immediately attempt to sell the house and split the assets, and Mr Huang later had a falling out with his eldest son over matters relating to the company,

    Mr Huang Su then moved into the smaller house next door to stay his daughter Ms Huang Yulan, and her family.

    Mr Huang Yu took his father to court the same year, alleging that his father had attempted to suppress his voice in the company, using his position as a major shareholder. 

    After that, the two houses at Jalan Raya were placed up for sale, and Ms Huang Yulan purchased another semi-detached house at 43 Eastwood Drive for $1.75 million. 

    Mr Huang Su moved in with Ms Huang Yulan and her family into the new home. 

    In March 2015, Mr Huang Su and Mr Huang Yu reconciled their differences, and the senior Mr Huang asked his son to check the deed of the Eastwood Drive property.

    Mr Huang Su later found out that the property had been registered solely under Ms Huang Yulan’s names and felt deceived, citing that he had paid $1,662,500 of the $1.75 million for the house. 

    In May 2015, Mr Huang Su moved to stay with his Mr Huang Yu again. 

    Mr Huang Su served a lawyer’s letter to Ms Huang Yulan a month after moving and accused her of using his money to pay for the house.

    He alleged that this ‘did not just constitute misappropriation of funds, but also could have involved cheating and forgery of documents’. 

    Mr Huang Su also lodged a police report over the case. 

    Two months, later, he formally sued Ms Huang Yulan. 

    However,  just before a verdict was reached, Mr Huang Su was discovered dead on a field in front of Mr Huang Yu’s flat in February 2016. 

    He was suspected to have jumped to his death and was 89 years old then.

    Mr Huang Yu was appointed the sole executor of his father’s will and carried on with the lawsuit against his sister. 

    Through his lawyer Mr Shriniwas Rai, Mr Huang Yu hopes to recover the $1.66 million given by his father to Ms Huang Yu, as well as another $120,000 she had withdrawn under her father’s name. 

    This amounts to $1,780,000. 

    The High Court judge delivered a verdict on Tuesday, saying that Mr Huang Yulan had deliberately planned for Mr Huang Su to pass her the profits from the sale of the houses at Jalan Raya, so she could buy the property at Eastwood Drive under her own name. 

    In addition, he ruled that Mr Huang Su did not give his consent for Ms Huang Yulan to redraw $120,000 for the renovation of the house. 

    Ms Huang Yulan has appealed against the verdict. 

    Friday, March 9, 2018 - 16:45

    0 0
    0 0

    Popular Hong Kong casual eatery or 'cha chaan tang' Tsui Wah will be opening its first South-east Asian outlet here in Singapore.

    The announcement was made by Jumbo Group on Friday (March 9), regarding the partnership between its subsidiary, Jumbo F&B Services, and Kang Wang Holdings, the wholly-owned subsidiary of Tsui Wah holdings.

    The franchise agreement for the brand will stand for an initial term of 10 years, said the statement.

    Tsui Wah  is known for providing traditional Hong Kong-style comfort fare to locals and tourists alike. Most outlets open late into the night, with some operating 24 hours.

    Popular items on its menu include its fishball noodles, bottled Hong Kong milk tea and crispy bread drizzled with condensed milk.

    The brand was founded in the Mongkok neighbourhood in 1967, and as of Jan 31 this year, there are 32 outlets in Hong Kong, 35 outlets in China, and 3 outlets in Macau.

    Said Mr Ang Kiam Meng, Jumbo's group chief executive and executive director: "This is part of our group's strategy to grow our network of restaurants, and to further strengthen our foothold in Singapore.

    We intend to capitalise on the popularity and growth potential of the Hong Kong-style cha chaan teng market in Singapore to broaden our local customer base." 

    Singapore is home to two other famous Hong Kong F&B chains famed for their egg tarts and milk tea - Honolulu Cafe, located at Orchard Centrepoint and Tai Cheong Bakery at Takashimaya (take-away only) and Holland Village.

    But there's no word yet on where the first Tsui Wah outlet will be located.


    Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 10:01

    0 0
    Warnning: Do NOT Get Caught While Searching!!
    Your IP : - Country : - City:
    Your ISP TRACKS Your Online Activity! Hide your IP ADDRESS with a VPN!
    Before you searching always remember to change your IP adress to not be followed!
    0 0
    0 0

    The video scrolls on your social media feed, and unfolds into what looks like an episode of a TV series or a short film. Maybe it's a tearjerker, which, after you've watched to the end, you "Like" and "Share", with a comment on how wonderful it is - even though you realise, perhaps belatedly, that it's advertising.

    To hook viewers (read: customers), companies are now tapping into a new channel that markets their brands in a non-intrusive, even pleasing way - video-storytelling. Brunch this Saturday in the BT Weekend explores the trend.

    In our Investing & Wealth section, chartist Daryl Guppy shows why gold and oil will become casualties as America rushes headlong into (more) debt. And CFA Society Insights dives into the telecoms sector with an analysis of the fundamentals that determine performance.

    On the hunt for a new job? Traditional job interviews in which candidates are grilled face to face still exist, but more unconventional methods such as Skype interviews are becoming par for the course. Young or old, techie or not, Cubicle Files says it's time for those of you looking to switch employers to get acquainted with the new interview approaches out there.

    When you're on a vacation, you want to be able to do as you like (within reason). Yet some establishments have in place rules that serve only to annoy. Our Saturday Soapbox columnist fingers a few culprits and wonders, "Why?"

    And in The Finish Line this week, we preview this Saturday's big Premier League match between Manchester United and Liverpool at Old Trafford.

    To subscribe, visit bt.sg/subscribe

    Sunday, March 11, 2018 - 11:07

    0 0
    0 0

    Update at 2.25pm:

    The kindergarten involved has provided more details regarding the incident.

    According to The Straits Times, a teacher who carried out daily health checks on the children on the morning of Feb 14 had first found bruises below the girl's eye.

    Ms Kwan explained this was caused by an accident at home involving her son, said the school.

    About two hours later, another teacher noticed a bruise on the girl's ear.

    However, the child similarly claimed she had been accidentally hurt by her brother at home.

    As this was consistent with Ms Kwan's explanation of the earlier bruises, the school did not take immediate action to inform her about the girl's bruised ear, added the school in its statement.

    Ms Kwan was informed in a phone call on the same day that her daughter had "behaved normally in school" and they were unaware of any incident that could have caused the bruises on her ear.

    The school said: "We have been extending our fullest cooperation on its investigations.

    "We also note that she returned to kindergarten on the next day and enjoyed the Chinese New Year celebrations with her friends."

    Having carried out its own investigations by reviewing closed-circuit television footage and interviewing staff members, the school "did not find any incident or circumstances that could have caused those injuries in the kindergarten".

    on Facebook

    Update: The school mention about the bruise below my Daughter cheek was a fading bruise that was a week ago. That’s...

    Posted by Claudia Kwan on Sunday, 11 March 2018

    Original article:

    Police are investigating a report lodged by a mother whose young daughter was found with a bruised and swollen ear after the latter returned home from her pre-school on Feb 14.

    The mother, Ms Claudia Kwan, had written about the incident in March 10 posts on her personal Facebook page and in the 'Childcare in Singapore' group.

    Ms Kwan said in her post that she sent her three-year-old daughter, who was "perfectly normal and happy", to school on the morning of Feb 14.

    on Facebook

    Dear all, I appreciate it if you could take some time to read this post. It’s a long post as I’m seeking advice. I’m...

    Posted by Claudia Kwan on Friday, 9 March 2018

    However, when her husband picked up their daughter from school later that day, "he sensed that something was not right" with the child's mood.

    Ms Kwan wrote: "Her messy hair covered part of the ear and she was sweaty after a whole day in school but what he saw was a horrific bruise on the top of her ear.

    "When they reached home, my hubby asked me to check what had happened to her ear and to my horror, her ear was badly bruised to such an extent that it was swelling badly.

    "My heart bled and when I asked my daughter about what had happened, she lost control and just broke down into tears and cried."

    According to Ms Kwan, who also shared photos of her daughter's injury, none of the teachers at the pre-school could explain what caused the bruise.

    She said she took her daughter to a paediatrician, who was "shocked" by the injury and "diagnosed it as a form of traumatic bruising that was caused by the exertion of great intentional force, and not a result of insect bites or drug allergies".

    A visit was made to another paediatrician at KK Women's and Children's Hospital (KKH) on Feb 15 and the bruise was classified as a "non-accidental injury", added Ms Kwan.

    The mother, who said she has reported the incident to the police, Early Childhood Development Agency (ECDA) and a Member of Parliament (MP), also shared how her daughter has been "traumatised badly".

    "She is tormented day after day by the incident and her behaviour has even undergone drastic changes. She is now very temperamental and bursts into rage or tears at times, sometimes even out of the blue for no apparent reason," wrote Ms Kwan in her post.

    She added that her daughter, who has stopped attending the pre-school, also suffers nightmares every night for the past three weeks.

    In response to a query by Stomp, the police confirmed that a report was lodged and investigations are ongoing.

    "The investigation officer has updated Ms Claudia Kwan on the status," said the police.

    In a statement, the ECDA told Stomp that it is aware of the case and has reached out to Ms Kwan to provide any necessary assistance that she and her child may require.

    It added: "At the same time, ECDA is working with the centre to ensure the safety and well-being of the children at the centre."

    Monday, March 12, 2018 - 15:24

    More about


    0 0
    Warnning: Do NOT Get Caught While Searching!!
    Your IP : - Country : - City:
    Your ISP TRACKS Your Online Activity! Hide your IP ADDRESS with a VPN!
    Before you searching always remember to change your IP adress to not be followed!

older | 1 | .... | 295 | 296 | (Page 297) | 298 | 299 | newer